Labels

Thursday, February 1, 2007

What reflections and connections can I make with this novel?

As I read this novel and saw how Don Richardson had to deal with an extreme cultural difference, I sort of felt an empathy with him. Like he did, I also experienced change from one culture to another, even though the degree of difference was not as huge as the one presented on the novel.
When I came to TCIS at first, I found myself struggling because of sudden changes in my environment. Since a majority of TCIS students consist of Korean students, language wasn't the most difficult issue there (yes I violated language policy very often). But subtle differences in perception of certain behaviors embarrassed me more than obvious ones.
For instance, when I have to talk with grownups, (this does not often take place in Korea by the way, because the only time I get to talk with them is when I'm in a trouble) I am not supposed to look directly at their eyes; it's considered rude. However, in American culture, it is rather a sign of insubordination or guilty not to look at people's eyes when I talk to them. Although I know that I should look at their eyes when I am talking to them, I'm so used to looking down that I almost unconsciously avoid that.
This probably does not even look like a problem, but it sometimes frustrates me, because when I try to become like people who can communicate without any problem, it keeps me from becoming like them. I'm sure Don Richardson would have felt the same thing. He tries be like a Sawi, not for his whole life but just during his visit, to communicate with them more perfectly as a missionary. It is hard to become a native person, because there is certain "subtlety" that one can't just acquire. It is something that grows with the person living in the community. This connection between Don Richardson and me helped me with understading this novel better and feel what the author had to deal with.

5 comments:

Kyungmin said...

I agree with the fact that there is difficulty when we feel culture shock. i too had a similar experience of the differences of cultures in the states and that of korea. unfortuantely, my experience was vice versa where i didn't understand the methods of korean education and had serious problems with adapting to the korean environment.
nice post!!

Justin An said...

wangta

hyangsoo, said...

hey dunsan kid :P
It is over 12 o'clock and I am seriously tired, but I'm still coming to yours to leave a comment :) You should be thankful!
I agree with the whole language difference adversity. When I first went to England in 1st grade, I didn't know any English, and had a hard time communicating. It took me more than a year to master English! At least you knew the language, kkk.
So, have you overcome the cultural difference now :]??

carol said...

James~~
hey!~haha
I'm suprised how you connected yourself with the novel by using your own experience. I also had a difficult time getting use to Korean culture. When I first came to Korea, it was hard to understand Korea's education and people around you. As I adapted to Korean culture, I was able to understand people better. Thanks to your writing, I was able to understand how hard it would have been for Don Richardson to get use to the Sawi culture.
See-ya
Carol~~

African Globe Trotters. said...

James - an extremely insightful post. You show empathy and self knowledge and so your readers identify with your experience. Marvellous work! Mrs.Mc.